Travel Insurance - 'Assistance when you need it'

"Your own travel insurance policy is there 'door to door.' If you think you can just use your credit card for travel insurance, this is alright provided nothing goes wrong.
But when you suffer an illness or injury and need to go to hospital or your luggage or travel documents are lost or stolen and you are standing in line waiting for assistance, believe me, you'll wish you had an emergency assistance contact number to call as they would already be working on it for you."
How much does a policy cost?
Prices vary depending on both duration and where you are travelling to. To find out how much a policy costs choose a plan.

How can I buy a policy?

You must buy the policy online using one of these credit cards: Visa, Mastercard, Amex.

If I change my mind and cancel the policy, do I get a refund?
Yes. There is a cooling off period if you change your mind. You may cancel the policy within 14 days after the issue of your Certificate of Insurance provided you have not started your trip and you do not want to make a claim or exercise any other right under the policy. You will be refunded the full amount of the premium you have paid.
If you have any further questions, you can ring 1300 787 376.

What part of a claim do I have to pay for?
Policy excesses vary by product. Please check the Combined FSG and PDS (including Policy Wording) for specific details. For some products you can remove the excess by paying an additional amount.

As you can only purchase with a credit card, how do I know it is secure?

SureSave uses a secure payment gateway that make credit card transactions directly and securely with the bank. We do not see, record or store these card details in any form, simply get approval or decline from the banking institution. Once authorised, it's instant travel insurance cover and your Certificate of Insurance is displayed on screen for you to print. This connection through to the bank uses a 128bit encrypted SSL Web Server Certificate so that any information is encrypted or scrambled. You can be assured that your transaction is at least as safe as any other normal offline credit card transaction.

Are there any no-claims bonuses?
Mostly travel insurance is a one-off thing, so if you have to make a claim you won't find your premiums suddenly bumped up the next time. Of course, if too many people make claims the premiums will rise anyway. But aside from maybe having to pay an excess, there is no reason not to make a claim.

If I return home early, do I get a refund?
No. If you buy a 6 month policy and return home after 2 months, the policy is terminated and you don't get a refund.
Do I really need travel insurance?

There are many things to consider when travelling overseas including passport, tickets, exchange rates, accommodation, and what to pack. While overseas travel can be an exciting prospect, there can be situations where things may go wrong and travellers find themselves needing urgent medical assistance, help with replacing lost luggage and/or assistance with making an urgent trip home. This is where travel insurance can help - along with providing peace of mind for travellers who may find themselves in any of these situations. Travellers should thoroughly read the Combined FSG and PDS (including Policy Wording) before they purchase travel insurance to ensure it meets all their needs and provides the appropriate level of cover. We've all heard the horror stories of people losing their money, passport, sometimes their entire luggage, leaving them stranded far from home. Or worse, being injured or just getting sick in the wrong part of the world.
If you can't afford the insurance, you can't afford the trip. Travel insurance isn't an option when you are travelling overseas.

What is a pre-existing medical condition?
Pre-existing Medical Condition means:
(a) An ongoing medical or dental condition of which you are aware, or related complication you have, or the symptoms of which you are aware;
(b) A medical or dental condition that is currently being, or has been investigated, or treated by a health professional (including dentist or chiropractor) at any time in the past, prior to policy purchase;
(c) Any condition for which you take prescribed medicine;
(d) Any condition for which you have had surgery;
(e) Any condition for which you see a medical specialist; or
(f) Pregnancy.
This definition applies to you, your Travelling Party or a Relative.

I'm planning to take my video camera and sound equipment with me, are they covered?
The amount paid for loss of your video camera or sound equipment will depend on your insurance policy, but there is a maximum single amount. It's usually about $3,000 to $4,000 but refer to the individual Combined FSG and PDS (including Policy Wording).

What is a duty of disclosure?
Under the law, we as agents for Cerberus are required to inform you about your duty of disclosure. We have asked and will ask various questions of you. You have a duty at law when answering them to give us honest and complete answers and to tell us everything you know and that a reasonable person in the circumstances could be expected to tell us. You answer the questions for yourself and everyone else covered by the policy, because you apply on their behalf and with their consent. If you breach the duty, the insurer may cancel the policy or reduce the amount it pays for a claim. If fraud is involved, the insurer may treat the policy as if it never existed and pay nothing.

Does my insurance only cover me for the one trip?
The policy is only valid for the period of the trip stated in the Certificate of Insurance.
Emergency Assistance
22. How do I get Emergency Assistance overseas?
24hr Emergency Assistance is available by calling +61 2 9234 3113 or +61 2 8256 1513 Email: SMS: +61 417 342 076. If I decide to return home because I am ill, do I need the insurer's agreement?
Yes, whatever the circumstances. If you intend to do something that you will claim for later, you first have to obtain the insurer's agreement.
24. Can I wait?

Yes. Provided the incident you are claiming for took place while you were travelling overseas and your policy was valid at the time, if you want to wait until you get home to submit your claim then that's fine. }

25. What can I claim for?
You can claim for medical evacuation, cancellation costs, funeral expenses, emergency dental treatment, luggage and personal effects, and personal liability. You should refer to the Combined FSG and PDS (including Policy Wording) for the full description of benefits and exclusions.

26. I was robbed of $300 in local currency. Do I have a claim?

There is a nominal limit a to the amount the insurer will reimburse following the theft of cash whilst travelling overseas. It's always safer to use traveller's cheques or credit cards.

27. What's 'due care and attention'?
If you leave your hand luggage unattended in a public place (outside the toilet at the airport, for example) and it disappears, your insurer may reject your claim, as you haven't paid due care and attention to your goods. Equally, if you leave your luggage with somebody you don't know - for example at the airport while you buy a cup of coffee - that, too, is not giving due care or attention. This duty of care spills over into your baggage and rented cars. Most policies will not pay out if your luggage is stolen from your rented car when it is in the boot overnight. Other insurance companies can refuse the claim if it is stolen from the main part of the car.

28. Should I obtain police reports or doctors' details for insurance purposes?
We know it cuts into your valuable holiday time, but there isn't a lot of point in trying to obtain such vital information once you have returned to Australia. Get the information you need as soon as possible, and store it in a safe place.

29. When can I have my claims paid?

Usually when you return to Australia and only after the insurer is satisfied that all the paperwork is correct. If you plan to be away for a long period, or the loss you've experienced is causing you serious financial troubles, contact the insurer to discuss the options.

Global Surf Travel/Surf Travel Insurance ABN 79083338649 AR 299807, is an Authorised Representative of Cerberus Special Risks Pty Limited ABN 81 115 932 173, AFS Licence No 308461 (Cerberus).
This is general advice and you should consider if this product suits your needs. Before you buy, please read the Product Disclosure Statement. This insurance is underwritten by certain underwriters at Lloyd's.

Copyright © 2005 Global Surf Travel Pty Ltd